By Valerie Sokolosky
A Reach-certified Personal Brand Strategist offers tips and advice on our favorite topic – personal branding!
Top Ten Ways to Enhance Your Professional Presence:
1. Return phone calls within 24 hours.
2. Know your alcohol limit and don’t exceed it.
3. Keep your remarks positive.
4. Ask to make a comment instead of interrupting the speaker.
5. Turn away from gossip.
6. Check for typos or poor grammar before sending letters, texts or emails.
7. Keep complaints few and factual.
8. Over-deliver rather than make empty promises.
9. Catch yourself before you brag.
10. Keep communication open with your boss and never allow him/her to be surprised or uninformed.
1. Clothing too tight, wrinkled, soiled or needing repair
2. Skirt length, men’s socks or slacks too short
3. Too much perfume or cologne at work
4. Visible tattoos
5. Wearing low-cut blouses – no cleavage allowed
6. Too many accessories
7. Careless grooming
8. Hair style that is outdated or unprofessional
9. Cheap anything
10. Lack of attention to details – missing button, frayed collar, unraveled hem
Always Be Considerate:
1. Never keep a guest or client waiting.
2. Greet visitors to your office promptly upon arrival.
3. Don’t overstay your welcome in another person’s office. No drop bys, please.
4. Acknowledge special occasions in a timely manner.
5. ALWAYS R.S.V.P. and then show up if you say you will be there.
Valerie Sokolosky is an author of 8 books, a speaker and the owner of Valerie and Company, a firm that focuses on people skills through training programs and executive coaching. She contributes regularly to Success Magazine, SW Airlines Spirit Magazine and Dallas Business Journal.