By Valerie Sokolosky
A Reach-certified Personal Brand Strategist offers tips and advice on our favorite topic – personal branding!
Top 10 + 10 Ways to Show Professional Presence
This list is from my upcoming book, Do It Right: The New Book of Business Etiquette. The book will be available in mid 2012.
1. Never talk over people.
2. Maintain a positive attitude.
3. Keep complaints few and factual.
4. If you want to be the boss, dress like one.
5. Watch for careless grooming – nails, cleanliness, breath, dandruff.
6. Check for typos or poor grammar before sending letters, memos or emails.
7. Turn away from gossip.
8. Give a kind word to someone every day.
9. Know and practice rules of etiquette.
10. Respect personal space.
11. Learn to remember names.
12. If you have a difficult name to remember, give a hint.
13. Be on time.
14. Do RSVP.
15. Get in the habit of writing personal thank you notes.
16. Do what you say and say what you’ll do.
17. Know what is expected and respected in any situation.
18. Be prepared to network – know what you will give and what outcome you want.
19. Return phone calls within 24 hours.
20. Always make eye contact with those you are connecting with.
Valerie Sokolosky is an author of 8 books, a speaker and the owner of Valerie and Company, a firm that focuses on people skills through training programs and executive coaching. She contributes regularly to Success Magazine, SW Airlines Spirit Magazine and Dallas Business Journal.