By Peter Sterlacci
Closing One Chapter; Opening Another
When I took over the reins as the Editor of YOUnique over 18 months ago I used this expression: “If it ain’t broke, then don’t fix it!” YOUnique was not broken then and I think it is fair to say that in my tenure as your Editor I didn’t break it!
As a matter of fact, YOUnique evolved in many ways as we welcomed new monthly authors, started a guest author series, began the very first video interview series called “The Brandtastic Diaries,” and put in motion the process to create a tablet version of YOUnique for iPad users.
YOUnique has been one of 4 major content platforms for Reach along with The Personal Branding Blog (TPBB), Personal Branding TV (PBTV), and the Reach Interview Series. In addition, William is now a featured contributor to Forbes! This is actually a lot to maintain and manage. Our main goal at Reach is to give our readers the best content possible. Content that is current, relevant, practical, and applicable, without spreading our resources too thin. With such a diverse portfolio of content sources, we had to consider the best way to consolidate and streamline what we are doing. As such, YOUnique will be evolving into a new format moving forward.
Rather than a bi-monthly newsletter with regular columns, YOUnique will transform into a bi-monthly ‘news digest’ of curated content from our other content platforms. Instead of articles, you will see a digest of titles and headlines with links to the original articles, videos found on TPBB, PBTV, Forbes, etc. We see this as the perfect way to keep our readers informed as well as focus our efforts on managing a smaller number of content platforms. Stay tuned for the new YOUnique from October!
Being my final column as Editor, I want to thank the people who have helped me to publish this newsletter twice a month for the past 18 months. (Wow! I just realized I have been responsible for 36 issues of YOUnique!)
- William Arruda: Thank you William for giving me the opportunity to be in this position for Reach. I enjoyed representing Reach in this capacity and building my experience to edit a major newsletter.
- Rachel Gogos: Without Rachel this newsletter would not exist! I had big shoes to fill taking over as Editor from Rachel’s 4 year tenure. She grew YOUnique into one of the largest personal branding newsletters out there and created a loyal community of subscribers. Thank you Rachel for handing over a finely tuned newsletter to manage.
- All the Reach Authors: I was honored to work with some of the smartest and coolest people in the Personal Branding world as our monthly authors. You made my job as Editor fun as I leaned so much reading your articles. Our readers subscribe to YOUnique because of your awesome content.
- Tara Kachaturoff and Regina Walton: YOUnqiue would never get into the hands of our readers without the amazing “behind-the-scenes” work from Tara and Regina. There was an incredible amount of administrative, design, and promotional work that had to happen twice a month. I could sleep confidently knowing that Tara and Regina would meet our bi-weekly deadlines.
- Our readers: Last but not least is YOU, our loyal readership! Thank you for subscribing to Reach and sharing the content with others.
Again, thank you all for being part of the YOUnique family and stay tuned for the new YOUnique digest coming soon!
Peter Sterlacci, founder of BeYB – Believe. Become. Be Your Brand, , combines personal branding strategy with cycling imagery to empower on-the-move careerists in global companies in Japan to shift gears, get out of the saddle, and sprint to career success.
Video interviews celebrating ‘ICONIC’ Reach Strategists
Tanvi Speaks to Cheryl Berrington, the founder of The Berrington Group!
In this episode of The Brandtastic Diaries, Tanvi Bhatt celebrates the brand Cheryl Berrington. Cheryl is a Master Certified Reach Personal Branding Strategist and the founder of The Berrington Group; where she partners with leaders to inspire them to be more effective and extraordinary in their brand promise.Watch out for her 3 fantastic TIPS for aspiring leaders to become truly ‘brandtastic’!
Tanvi Bhatt is India’s leading Personal Brand Strategist and the first Reach Certified Personal Brand Strategist across the Indian Sub-Continent. Tanvi founded ‘Panache Studio’ which is India’s Premier Personal Branding Studio.
Helping new graduates stand out from the crowd and take control of their career legacy.
Unemployed … a Blessing in Disguise!
In my previous articles, we’ve been trying to tackle the subject of landing your dream job by preparing your arsenal with the necessary ammo to be an active soldier in the war for talent. Sometimes, you have to wait a while before you get drafted or called in for duty. This state is commonly known as unemployment!
In this month’s article, I will share how a state of unemployment is actually a blessing in disguise. Yes, you heard me right, a blessing! Let’s lay down the facts.
When was the last time you had all the time in the world to do anything you ever wanted? As soon as you finished high school, you probably joined university, and that went on for another 4 years to say the least. Not once, did you have the opportunity to just step back and look at your life from a new perspective? You were always busy. Well now you have all the free time on your hand to do whatever you want.
Remember that backpacking trip across Europe you’ve always wanted to take? Or those cooking lessons your friend told you about? You can finally join your friend in their revitalizing morning runs! How about that book you’ve started one too many times, but never had the time to finish it? Didn’t you always want to learn Italian? There’s so much you can do now that you have time. So stop wasting it wondering when that phone is going to ring. You’re ready to be called in at any given time, but don’t hold your breath waiting. Use it to learn, train, and develop!
Here are 3 tips on how to make the best of your unemployment:
- Develop a Schedule: Even with 24 hours, the day might seem awfully short if we don’t organize our time. Not keeping a schedule makes you open to continuous distractions that will occupy your time with nonsense. I’m not asking you to become obsessed with keeping a schedule, but try grouping your day plans into chunks of time. For example, you can decide that you will spend 8 hours sleeping, 4 hours on self development, 2 hours of family time, 2 hours of fitness, 4 hours with friends. Guess what, you still have 4 hours to spare! So trust me when I tell you, 24 hours is a whole lot of time, it just depends what you do with it.
- Make a Commitment: Regardless of how you decide to divide your time, commit to it. Discipline is key! If you decide you will be spending 4 hours a day developing yourself, be it through reading, classes, mentorship, make sure you stick to it. Remember, the trick here is forming new habits; they need to become part of your routine.
- Make it Public: The best advice I can give you is make your commitments public. It becomes very similar to a promise you make to the world and have to keep or justify yourself for not keeping.
Make the best of your unemployment; it’s an opportunity to make what you were good at even better. Stop wasting time waiting … and Like I always say, “You Shy, You Die!”
John Antonios is a Personal Branding Strategist & Executive Coach. He stands side by side with politicians, executives, and graduates helping them understand and promote their brand DNA, allowing them to cash in on their passion and take control of their legacy.
By Maria Elena Duron
Reviewing resources to help exude and engage your brand!
Why Managing Your List is the Key to Your Email Newsletter Success
One of the most effective strategies in word of mouth marketing is the utilization of an email list or newsletter. Many online entrepreneurs often make the mistake of maintaining a SINGLE email list. This means that they simply blast their marketing messages to the same audience over and over again. If you’ve been doing this in your email marketing campaigns, it’s time to fine-tune your methods by segmenting your audience. Segmentation is about dividing the people in your email list into smaller segments based on factors like demographics, interests, and/or their preferences on certain services and products.
There are a lot of reasons why you should segment your audience. First, your mailing list consists of people with varying interests and preferences. By segmenting them, you ensure the right messages are received by the right people. Second, segmentation will significantly decrease the number of people unsubscribing from your mailing list. This is for the simple fact that your subscribers will only be receiving messages that they are genuinely interested in. Lastly, segmentation improves your conversion rate. By sending relevant content to your lists based on the segments they belong, recipients will be more likely to avail themselves to your offers.
Here are a few tips on how you should segment your audience:
#1. Look into your existing email list and think of how you can divide it into small, relevant segments. The best way to do this is to directly ask your list’s recipients and let them choose the segments they want to join. When given a choice, your subscribers will be more than willing to choose a segment, if only to avoid unwanted messages filling their inboxes.
Key Point: Ask them! Avoid being like most who “guess” what they think their target audience wants.
#2. Use a sign-up form to determine which segment a subscriber should be listed with. The trick here is to ask the right questions the moment someone registers with your newsletter. He or she would then be included in a segment based on the answers they provided.
#3. Analyze audience behavior. Study how they interact with your messages. What links are they clicking? What type of messages are they opening? You then divide them into segments based on their behavior.
Key Point: If you’re not using email marketing tools to capture and measure this, then you’re wasting your time and the time of your email recipients.
#4. Segment your audience based on your relationships with them. How you do this would depend on the kind of business you run. For example, you can segment your list by customers, employees, volunteers, and so on.
Follow these practical tips and you’ll be on your way to improving the results you get from your email marketing campaigns.
Effectiveness in your email marketing efforts (which is an extremely viable and valuable method since you own your list) coupled with the visibility of social media, work well together IF you work them well.
Maria Elena Duron is skilled at making networks “work” and harnessing powerful online and offline buzz, she facilitates online visibility services and word of mouth coaching and workshops – taking companies and professionals from buzz-worthy to bucks-worthy.
On September 30th! Learn the Latest Personal Branding Trends & all about Reach Certification programs!
Join Personal Branding Guru, William Arruda, on Monday, September 30, 2013 at 11 am Eastern-US for a fun, lively, content-packed session all about personal branding.
- Important trends that will impact your brand
- Information about the all-new Reach certification programs
- Ways Reach is serving the industry thru its leading-edge products
If you’re interested in personal branding or considering joining our global community of Reach-certified Personal Branding Strategists, register now! You’re guaranteed to walk away with something you can use immediately to increase your success!
Space is limited, so REGISTER HERE.
ASK YOUR QUESTIONS
William is reserving at least 15 minutes to answer your questions about personal branding!
LEARN ABOUT OUR NEW CERTIFICATION COURSES
We have two all new certification courses starting in October. William will present information and updates about:
- 360Reach Certified Analyst Certification training
- Personal Branding Strategist Certification training (CPBS)
- Bonus #1: William Arruda will be teaching the next 360Reach courses (two sessions in October) and the next CPBS course which starts in December. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to train directly with the guy who’s credited with turning the concept of personal branding into a global industry!
- Bonus #2: Also, if you’re already a 360Reach Certified Analyst, we’ll provide you with a $497 discount on your investment in the CPBS course as long as you enroll by the deadline. All the details will be available soon at http://www.reachtrainingprograms.com.
Please note: This call will be recorded and the replay link sent to everyone who registers! REGISTER NOW for this complimentary webinar at http://360rea.ch/registerseptember30.
William Arruda on Forbes.com!
Find the full list here. Learn, enjoy, and please share!
Michael Port – Reach Personal Branding Interview Series
Book Yourself Solid Illustrated
Visualizing the fastest, easiest and more reliable system for getting more clients than you can handle
Click the microphone to download the interview audio file >>>
They say a picture is worth a thousand words; in this case it may be worth thousands of dollars!
You’ve probably seen a lot of infographics and cartoons being used to illustrate marketing concepts, but the bar has been raised—really high.
How about a whole book on marketing and selling (for people who don’t like marketing and selling) that is almost entirely made up of illustrations? Learning how to market yourself just got much easier.
We all have different learning styles and sometimes just reading or hearing something isn’t enough, with this book you will be able to visualize how the concepts work and how they fit together.
This interview is sponsored by:
A light and fun professional development series
that will help you grow your business in 12 days.
New York Times bestselling author, Michael Port, is our distinguished guest for the June 20, 2013 Reach Personal Branding Interview at noon EST. Michael will be discussing his newest book “Book Yourself Solid Illustrated” in an interactive, one-hour interview with William Arruda, founder of Reach Personal Branding.
In this recorded interview, you will learn:
- Why most marketing for the service professional doesn’t work and what to do about it.
- How to get hired by only the most ideal clients so you fall in love with marketing and selling.
- The only 3 things you need to develop your personal brand so you decide how you’re known.
- How to talk about what you do without sounding confusing or bland – and without using an elevator speech.
…and so much more!
Called “an uncommonly honest author” by the Boston Globe and a “marketing guru” by The Wall Street Journal, Michael Port is a New York Times Bestselling author of four books including Book Yourself Solid, Beyond Booked Solid, The Contrarian Effect, The Think Big Manifesto and the all new Book Yourself Solid Illustrated.
Michael is also The Global Business Mentor for ReebokONE and can be seen regularly on MSNBC. He receives the highest overall speaker ratings at conferences around the world because he hits his mark every time and leaves his audiences a little smarter, much more alive, and thinking a heck of a lot bigger about who they are and what they offer the world.
Follow the interview LIVE on Twitter!
Download the handout: http://360rea.ch/14YpsoT
Audio file will be available for download following the event.
Thank You August 2013 Event Sponsor:
Summer is almost over and 2014 is around the corner. Are you prepared? Whether you want to write a book, develop a signature program, or plan your marketing for 2014, you need a plan of action — now! Enjoy this complimentary email series of simple tips, tools and techniques around planning your next project and taking action. Take the first step and register for free at: http://www.actionplanessentials.com/action
Tara Kachaturoff at Action Plan Essentials provides super simple rapid action planning for people who want to start creating their future today!
Personal branding is all about building emotional connections with clients
In this video, Personal Branding Guru, William Arruda, shares with you how video is one of the most valuable tools you have as a coach to connect with those who are making decisions about you. Find the video on the International Coaching Federation blog here.
Personal Branding Basics for Coaches
In this video, Personal Branding Guru, William Arruda, shares with you the key concepts of personal branding so you can build your practice around your authentic self. Find the video on the International Coaching Federation blog here.
Build Your Brand in 9 Minutes a Day with William Arruda: Listen on Friday, August 9th!
Tune in on Friday, August 9th at 12noon PST for The Leader and The Muse | VoiceAmerica™ – Build Your Brand in 9 Minutes a Day with William Arruda.
Buy Ditch. Dare. Do! online in eBook format on iTunes, Kindle, and Nook!
Expert Interview with William Arruda on Personal Branding
Expert Interview with William Arruda on Personal Branding on Reputation.com. Read it here.
William Arruda on Lindsey Pollack’s blog: Build Your Personal Brand by Supporting the Corporate Brand
Read his post, Build Your Personal Brand by Supporting the Corporate Brand, here.
Willisms collection William Arruda’s Personal Branding Quips
William Arruda has his own way of speaking – and virtually every conversation with him has a quip thrown in here or there that he uses to make his point. We call William’s quips ‘willisms’. Find full list here or daily at @DitchDareDo on Twitter.
Build your Brand in 9 Minutes a Day on SlideShare
Learn about the number 9 and how you can use the 9-minutes-a-day personal branding plan to stand out and reach your goals. You can find it here.
Subscribe to William Arruda’s YouTube Channel!
If you’re not already subscribed, head over to YouTube and become a subscriber to William Arruda’s YouTube channel. Please share it with your friends, associates, and clients too.
Thanks and see you there!
A viewing list of the latest video features playing on personalbranding.TV.