William’s Words By William Arruda
A note from the Founder of Reach Personal Branding.
The topic of gratitude comes up a lot in the weeks leading up to Thanksgiving. But it’s May. So why am I bringing it up now? Well, the act of being grateful is a year-long and a life-long activity. It shouldn’t be reserved for holidays!
Being grateful and acknowledging others for their good deeds feels good – and it has tremendous health benefits too (detailed in this NYTimes article).
I’m a naturally thankful person, I think, and make it a priority to acknowledge the thoughtful acts of others. The recent launch of Ditch. Dare. Do! gave me an opportunity to experience kindness by the truckload. So I’d like to use this installment of William’s Words to express gratitude for the tremendous support and generosity that I experienced. I am grateful for:
- Deb Dib for being a witty and wise coauthor who is an absolute delight. She tells me she is grateful to all these people too!
- The amazing Dick Bolles for writing the brilliant foreword for the book. He’s an inspiration to so many people!
- Team 3D – the Reach-certified Strategists who are committed to the 3D philosophy and the book’s success.
- Bestselling authors and sages Dan Pink, Marshall Goldsmith, Martin Yate and Gretchen Rubin for their endorsements and reviews of the manuscript.
- The Reach team – especially Tara Kachaturoff and Deborah Reast who managed every single step of the long – and sometimes arduous -process.
- The dozens of people who read the book as soon as it was available and provided our first reviews at Amazon.com.
- The over 30 people who contributed stories and quotes.
- Our launch partners who gave away valuable gifts on launch day.
- The countless others who provided content, creativity, support, advice, resources, wisdom, feedback, promotion…
- YOU, the reader of YOUnique who shared your encouragement and ideas as we updated you with the progress of the book.
THANK YOU! Let me close this installment of William’s Words with a Malayan proverb that sums up my feelings: “One can pay back the loan of gold, but one lies forever in debt to those who are kind.”
Video interviews celebrating ‘ICONIC’ Reach Strategists
Presenting the 2nd broadcast of The Brandtastic Diaries celebrating the ICONIC Brand of Walter Akana, founder of Threshold Consulting
Catch Tanvi and Walter Akana chat on the untold story of the ‘Brand Walter’, discover the Soul of his personal brand, celebrate the inspiring vision that Walter has for the world to come and learn about his Brandtastic Words of Wisdom (Wow), just for you!
Tanvi Bhatt is India’s leading Personal Brand Strategist and the first Reach Certified Personal Brand Strategist across the Indian Sub-Continent. Tanvi founded ‘Panache Studio’ which is India’s Premier Personal Branding Studio.
Helping new graduates stand out from the crowd and take control of their career legacy.
Job Matchmaking – What makes you “click”?
“John, I heard you quit job! What happened?” The only thing I could say to that was “We just didn’t click!”
That got me thinking, what exactly did I mean when I said that I didn’t click with my job? So I grabbed a pen and paper and created a checklist of what I thought the perfect job offered to see just how we “didn’t click.” This is what my checklist looked like:
- Multinational Company
- Company Reputation
- Company Portfolio
- Great Annual Package
- Regional Position
To my surprise, the job I just quit aced my checklist, so what exactly was I complaining about?
I wish I knew then, what I know now. In this post, I will reveal to you an important, if not the most important, aspect to consider while exploring the next company to work for. VALUE!
Yes, value matchmaking should be on top of your checklist. Your values are what make up your belief system. You can’t detach yourself from your values … they are what make you who you are! Knowing your set of values helps you making sound career decisions. They serve like a compass guiding your career to happier and more satisfied you. Identifying your values will help you recognize whether you and a particular company of interest would make a good fit.
Let’s take some examples:
- If you value family, then you are less likely to feel comfortable with a job that requires of you to be away from yours 90% of the time. As exciting as the suitcase-life might be at the beginning, you will soon grow restless because you just miss you family too much.
- If you value fairness, then you will be frustrated to be working for a company that has a tendency of terminating employees under the pretext of internal restructuring, even if you yourself are pampered.
- If you value calmness, you are bound to blow a fuse working as a manager for nightclub.
Matching your values embraced by the company you intend to work for will leave you with a greater sense of content and in turn allow you to be more productive.
To make sure you “click” with your next job, your homework before heading of to the next job interview is unearthing your top 5 personal values. If you have difficulty identifying your values, I recommend you take note of things that bother you. Usually when something bothers us, it’s because one of our values is being violated.
… And like I always say, “YOU SHY, YOU DIE!”
John Antonios is a Personal Branding Strategist & Executive Coach. He stands side by side with politicians, executives, and graduates helping them understand and promote their brand DNA, allowing them to cash in on their passion and take control of their legacy.
By Maria Elena Duron
Reviewing resources to help exude and engage your brand!
Resources Review – Are You Visually Engaging?
To be more engaging use photos – familiar advice across the social networks isn’t it? Facebook and Google+ pictures have become larger and more prominent; Twitter added Vine for more visual representations on your tweets and Instagram and Pinterest were born out of the love of playing with and sharing visual images. Photos dominate screen real estate and really draw your attention!
To do it right for you, here’s some suggestions:
- Watermark or put your name/tagline on every photo or graphic you create.
- If you’re using photos of you, remember your background; be at eye level with the camera or looking slight up at the camera (looking down is not your best side).
- If you use someone else’s photo, be careful with licenses and attributions. Take time to ready the rules – they matter!
- If you can say it in numbers and in a graphic – do both. Catch all people in the best way they like to consume information.
Visual storytelling increases engagement. The statistics prove it with videos shared 12 times more than text and photos shared twice as much more than text updates or posts.
As a bootstrapping buzz maker, here are the tools that are my faves:
- PicMonkey: Nothing to download it can do all those things that you’ve been waiting or adding to a list to have a graphic designer get done for you. No more waiting! You can add text, graphics, themes and even make photo collages.
- Quozio or ShareasImage: Have a great quote that you would like to put a background behind then quozio.com can do that for you. Simply beautiful and easy to use!
- PicMarkr: Helps you put your watermark in wherever you need it on a photo or a quote. We know how viral social can be and when someone shares a photo or graphic you’ve created make sure it makes it continues to do the viral work for you by bringing people back to you.
- Infogr.am: Make your own infographics. Now, you, can share information in a visual format – easily.
- Vizify: Plug in your social media sites and Vizify creates a series of interactive infographics that show the best of you.
For some visually graphic tools that are specific to a certain social network, my faves are:
- TimelineImageTool: Lets you create your own image, add text, then upload it automatically to your Facebook page for free!
- Autreplanete Social Image Maker: This online tool makes it easy to resize and retouch photos for a wide range of social networks and chat applications.
I purposely didn’t include any links to assure you that I’m not affiliated with any of them nor do I make money from any of them and they’re not my clients. If anything, I’m their client and have used each one of their services and appreciated them.
What tools have you found that are kind to your budget – both your time and money budget?
Maria Elena Duron is skilled at making networks “work” and harnessing powerful online and offline buzz, she facilitates online visibility services and word of mouth coaching and workshops – taking companies and professionals from buzz-worthy to bucks-worthy.
And Now a Word from…
Emery Kaze / Luxembourg
A periodic column featuring a special guest author from around the world!
Personal Branding Prescription to Fulfillment
In today’s world, where distraction is the rule, we need to focus more that ever. But the question is, what should we focus on? and what do we need to achieve? My answer to the second question is that it’s all about fulfillment. With regards to the first question, I challenged myself to come up with the shortest prescription to fulfillment, so that we can maximize our focus on it.
Being professionally successful doesn’t necessarily mean being satisfied with what we do. This happens when we’re lacking a purpose in our lives – the end-point that the more we get closer to, the happier we are, and we define our goals to set the road to go there.
I used to get interesting answers when I’ve asked some people about the most important things they want to do everyday – their job in life. My answer to this is that our life job is to work each day on our goals to achieve them. Each achieved goal is a step forward toward our purpose and more fulfillment.
But the challenge is double. The first is, are we really able to productively act each day on our goals toward our purpose? And the second is, how to make sure that we stay motivated all the way?
My vision of how purpose, goals and activities relate to each other is like a concentric set of circles, what I like to call “goals circles.” From inside out, the central part is our purpose. The next layer is the long term goals, followed by the intermediate, then the shorter-term, and so forth. Each goal sits on a segment of its layer. The size of that segment is proportionate to the relative importance of that goal toward achieving our purpose. The outermost layer contains the tasks that we should do each day to achieve our goals.
Most of those tasks are repetitive in nature, such as content curation, follow-up with our network, etc. That nature makes them rapidly overwhelming and frustrating. We need systems to streamline those tasks and integrate them into our lives. Saying it differently, it’s about turning tasks into habits. Integrating a seemingly very simple habit, such as efficiently managing our mails, can have a turbo-effect in achieving our goals and getting closer to our purpose. So you need to consider simple tasks first and turn them into habits. You’ll get big result with little effort.
It is also critical to highlight the importance of motivation while acting on our goals each day. Monitoring our progress and seeing that we’re moving forward is key to staying motivated, and accomplish more. Obviously, you need a tool for that. One of the tools that I really like is Goalscape, where you’re able to see how far completing one simple task moves you toward your purpose.
So my prescription to you is to set your goals, turn your tasks into habits and use a tool to monitor your progress toward your purpose each day.
Emery Kaze hates conformity and is skilled in reinventing businesses and careers. He is Luxembourg’s personal branding pioneer and creates awesome medical and dental brands for the world.
Living An Amazing Life
Click on the microphone to download the audio replay >>>
- How to cope with difficult situations
- How to define your goals
- How to set realistic tasks to achieve your goals
- How to navigate the seas of doubters and obstacles
- How to help others once you have reached your goals
Download the handout: http://360rea.ch/13Cb7jH
Audio Replay Now Available: Download Audio File Now
Readz is a direct-to-tablet publishing solution for brands who wish to purpose their marketing, publications, content for a growing audience of tablet users. Readz offers publishing tools, hosting, analytics, templates, plus expert assistance to help brands get started.
Readz is offering 10% off to first-time annual subscribers. We’ll help get you started. You’ll control your own publishing cycle. Your audience will receive your new content each time they open your app. Visit our website, request a demo, mention this offer during the demo.
William Arruda and Deb Deb Write for MarketingProfs!
You can find it here: Career Management – Manage Your Marketing Career in 3D.
William Arruda quoted at length on Forbes.com’s: 10 Ways To Be More Confident At Work
William Arruda talks to by Jacquelyn Smith about 10 ways that you can be more confident at work! You can find the article on Forbes.com here.
Walter Akana talks to Liz Lynch about “Crafting Your Personal Brand Story”!
Master Strategist Walter Akana talks about how to craft your personal brand story in this short video with Liz Lynch.
The article, “Use HUE to Build Brand YOU”, is on page 24 at this link!.
William Arruda Quoted in Success and Wealth Secrets in Men’s Health!
William Arruda is quoted in a new article in Men’s Health that talks about “Success and Wealth Secrets”. There are lots of great tips for each stage of a man’s life from his 20s to his 50s!
You can find it online at the link above or in the magazine’s March 2013 edition on page 27.
Personal Branding Trends for 2013
It’s that time once again when William Arruda publishes his annual Personal Branding Trends Report. From curation to QR codes and a lot of other interesting trends in between,you’ll definitely want to download a copy of this free report.
Download your complimentary copy of William Arruda’s Personal Branding Trends for 2013 here!
Peter Sterlacci on the Ambitious Entrepreneur hosted by Annemarie Cross!
Peter Sterlacci appeared on a podcast called The Ambitious Entrepreneur hosted by Annemarie Cross: Break away from the pack and ride to success with key personal branding strategies.
- Tips on being a ‘solopreneur’ in another culture;
- How to brand yourself across cultures using the ‘personal branding style dial”;
- Key strategies that will help you start branding yourself today;
Purzue Interviews: William Arruda on Personal Branding
Justin Webster from Purzue sat down with William Arruda, personal branding guru, author, and founder of Reach Personal Branding, to talk about the benefits of branding yourself in the current job market. Read the interview here.
YOUNique for the iPad is coming soon!
Reach and YOUnique are mentioned on Readz as a featured customer with the announcement of the YOUnique for iPad coming soon. Here is the link. Just scroll down and you will see the announcement!
Subscribe to William Arruda’s YouTube Channel!
If you’re not already subscribed, head over to YouTube and become a subscriber to William Arruda’s YouTube channel. Please share it with your friends, associates, and clients too.
Thanks and see you there!
A viewing list of the latest video features playing on personalbranding.TV.