Career REinvention – Dream BIG!
By Randi Bussin
Looking for your dream job? Ready to try something new? Helpful tips and tools to move you from one career to another.
Successful Goal Setting Strategies
Happy New Year and best wishes for a healthy, happy and prosperous 2012!
The beginning of the New Year is a perfect time to reflect on where you have been, your successes and where you are going. This month, as you step back into the workplace or continue with a job search/career change, take a moment to reflect and do some serious career planning.
Goal setting is key to a successful search or reinvention. It helps you get crystal clear on what you want, the distractions that might block your success and helps motivate you to be successful. But, goal setting is hard- you have to stop, think and get specific. Here are some quick tips for writing and achieving your goals:
- Be specific – Don’t just say I want a new job. Answer the who, what, where, when and why questions.
- Measure for success – How will you know if you reach your goal? How will progress be measured?
- Stretch yourself – Set a goal that is realistic, but that will also get you to stretch, learn, stay motivated and grow.
- Urgency counts – A goal should always have a time frame associated with it, otherwise you’ll flounder.
- Have a support team – Identify a list of family members, work colleagues, and mentors you need to achieve your goal.
- Celebrate Wins – Treat yourself to mark the final accomplishment, or small steps of progress along the way.
- Take baby steps – Break your goal down into smaller steps, but do something every day. Keep the momentum going.
- Tweak for success – Review your progress and tweak and adjust the goal to stay motivated.
Randi Bussin, a Career Reinvention strategist, guides executives and business owners towards a renewed sense of direction, an actionable career reinvention and personal branding plan.