Career REinvention – Dream BIG!: Identify Your Motivated Skills

Career REinvention – Dream BIG!
By Susan Guarneri

Looking for your dream job? Ready to try something new? Helpful tips and tools to move you from one career to another.

Identify Your Motivated Skills

Job satisfaction statistics in recent years have indicated that only 45% of Americans are satisfied with their jobs, leaving 55% dissatisfied. Whether you are happy in your job or not depends on many factors. Some are external, such as working conditions or compensation level. Other factors are intrinsic to who you are; these include (among others) your motivated skills, passions and interests, and values.

What are motivated skills? Here is the simple definition: skills you perform at least reasonably well (or perhaps even better) and enjoy doing. On the other hand, burnout skills are those you do well but do not enjoy – in fact, you may even detest doing them.

One method to evaluate your motivated skills involves constructing a Jobs Chart. For each job you have held, ask yourself what job functions you enjoyed and list them. These would correspond to your motivated skills. The job duties you found boring or disliked doing would be your burnout skills. List those as well because you will want to minimize those in your next career or job.

Your job description is a great place to start this informal assessment. It contains the formally recognized functions of your job. But, as with so many people these days, you are probably performing additional job duties not listed in your job description. So include those job functions in your evaluation as well.

If you are having difficulty distinguishing between motivated and burnout skills, you could rate each job duty on a scale from 1 to 7 for your level of enjoyment / engagement. On this scale 7 would be the most enjoyed job duty or functional skill and 1 would be the most boring and/or disliked. Then when you are done, the highest-rated job duties would reveal the pattern of your motivated skills.

Online assessments available through the U.S. Department of Labor can also evaluate your skills:

But be careful! These online assessments do not distinguish between motivated and burnout skills. Keep that in mind as you read the job descriptions for the suggested careers that are generated. If 50% or more of the job functions listed in the job description are your burnout skills, then you may want to consider another career field.
Use the new-found knowledge of your motivated skills to make better choices when changing jobs or careers.

Susan Guarneri, Career Assessment Goddess and Reach Master Branding Strategist, can guide you to your best-fit career options and help you land your Dream Job.

Share

Tags: ,

Comments are closed.